I love food. Seriously. And, while I enjoy cooking, sometimes it exhausts me. True story. We’re not a large family but feeding a husband and two teenage boys is not for the faint of heart. Those of you with more teens to feed.. Jesus be with you. Where do they put all the food???
After looking at the Instant Pot* for over a year, I took the plunge and bought one and let me tell you. I do not regret this purchase at all! I loved it so much and used it so much that I bought another because.. well, if I can make even more food in less time then, woo hoo!
Today, I’m going to share a chili recipe with you.
Instant Pot Chili
- 1 cup chili beans (or any beans of choice)
- 1lb ground beef
- 4 slices bacon, chopped (I used peppered bacon)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 jar salsa of your choice (16oz jar)
- 2 cups chicken broth (also made in the Instant Pot. I’ll share about that in another post)
- Add 1 cup dry beans to the Instant Pot
- Add water until beans are covered by about an inch of liquid
- Press the bean/chili button on the Instant Pot and adjust time to 45 minutes
- Once the beans are done, perform a QR (Quick Release) and drain the beans. (the picture on the bottom right shows that 1 cup of dry beans will yield approximately 3 cups of cooked beans)
- Add ground beef, bacon and onion to liner of the pot and press saute
- When the meat of browned, press off and then add the salsa, jalapeno (pro tip on the jalapeno.. I buy a can and then freeze it in a tiny ice cube tray. Toss a cube in frozen!) and the chicken broth. Again, notice that it is frozen.
- Place the lid on the pot and press the manual button (you can use the chili/bean option too) and adjust to 15 minutes.
- Perform a QR and serve with toppings of choice. We like cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
The flavors! Oh the flavors that meld together are amazing. You get a delightful, tasty chili that taste like it has been cooking all day in a crockpot!
oh Instant Pot*, how I love thee!
*this post does contain affiliate links.